Fireplaces & Oxygen

Remember that those who use oxygen are usually more sensitive to smoke from a fireplace and/or cigarette smoke. If you are having a family gathering for a holiday, please remember the person who uses oxygen. First and foremost, people who use oxygen should NOT smoke and unhealthy. It’s dangerous. Oxygen must be kept at a minimum distance of 5 feet from an open flame.

For me, I’m very sensitive to even the smell of burning wood (even a grill causes me problems!). It irritates my lungs and causes difficulty breathing. My family doesn’t even light the fireplace when I’m in their home. Sometimes, if they have a fireplace that has glass doors that can be closed which keeps the smell within the fireplace, I can tolerate being around one. I fully believe that holidays or family get-togethers should always be as enjoyable as possible for everyone who comes. So, if you need to do a little extra for that person who uses oxygen, do it and they will appreciate it. The oxygen user probably won’t speak up saying they are having problems from the fireplace. Please ask them if they need you to do anything with the fireplace to make them more comfortable. Afterall, being on oxygen is hard enough.

About these ads

Thank you for posting a comment. All comments will be reviewed for spam before being posted on this blog. It's only to prevent a spam overload. Thank you! .... Christine

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s