Self-cleaning Oven Warning!

Living On Oxygen for Life

Not only is it dangerous for the pets (especially birds) in your home while using the self-cleaning function of your oven, it’s a risk for respiratory patients as well. The teflon non-stick coating (made by the company DuPont) when heated to at least 600 degrees, emits a fume that can be harmful for people with Asthma and other respiratory problems.

Breathing these fumes can cause:

  • Chills
  • Fever
  • Profuse sweating
  • Cough
  • Flu-like symptoms
  • Tightness of the chest

If you need to clean your oven, using self-cleaning, be sure to remove your pets (it will kill birds!) and be sure to stay away of the kitchen area. If you can, just leave the house during the process.

Be sure to sign up for Email Notifications for when I post on my Living On O2 for Life blog! I wouldn’t want you to miss anything!! Look to the right column at the top.