The Hair Dryer’s other danger…

Living On Oxygen for Life

I had a thought the other day about hair dryers. You know the ones that are handheld. Not the one’s that my mom use to sit under with curlers in her hair. I can still see her in my head sitting there with her rollers in waiting for her hair to dry. Wow.. She was a patient woman for beauty. She would while her time away painting her nails. She was skilled at that. Me? Not so much. *shrug*

My thought that I had was about a danger that I hadn’t thought of before. Mostly people know about the danger of not using or leaving a plugged in hair dryer near or in a bathtub of water. Yikes! Electric shock would ruin anyone’s day (or should I say life?). No, I was thinking about people who use oxygen while trying to dry their hair with that handheld hair dryer. It has a danger to it. Did you know?

Have you ever seen a hair dryer spark when you turn it on? I have. That in itself is dangerous because most people don’t clean the lint out of the vent of the hair dryer until it’s coated in the stuff. Now, we also need to remember about the heating element of the hair dryer. It glows red when you have the dryer on warm or hot, right?

Imagine yourself and how you use your hair dryer. Is it close to your face as you dry the underneath parts of your hair? Are you wearing your oxygen while drying your hair? I have to use my oxygen all the time. The thing is… I don’t dry my hair using a hair dryer but once in a blue moon (mostly in the Winter when I don’t want wet hair if I have to go outside). So, naturally, I didn’t really think of the danger that could happen if you mix a spark from a hair dryer and the oxygen that I or you use. In fact, at the website: Consumer Product Safety Commission, near the bottom of the page, it says not to operate a hair dryer where oxygen is being administered.

As for me, I air dry my hair. Using a hair dryer to dry my thick, long hair takes forever and makes me tired. Plus, I don’t like how it treats my hair. I end up looking like a fluff ball most of the time. Now that I have had this thought about the danger of using hair dryers with oxygen in use, I’m very cautious. I’ll admit that I still use one on RARE occasion but I know I shouldn’t. I hold the dryer as far from my hair as possible just to add an element of a buffer zone. I clean out the lint too. I make sure it’s in good working condition. I certainly don’t want a fire on my head!

Now, I’m not saying that you should use a hair dryer but if you still want to, I can’t stop you. Do it with extreme caution. Keep your hair dryer in peak condition and away from your oxygen. If it sparks, you’re gonna have problems.

The potential dangers I face everyday.

Living On Oxygen for Life

I lead such a dangerous life. Every step is a potential threat to my wellbeing. I just never know exactly when danger will strike next. “She’s so brave,” you’re thinking! It’s a wonder that I’m still alive! Oh the worry… Oh the drama of said worry. When will it ever end, I ask you?? *swoon*

I face everyday with the threat of my very sneaky, highly stealthy cat of whom I think my husband has secretly trained as a ninja killer kitty. I have never caught Marabelle (aka: Mary) doing this but I have to check everyday the whole length of my oxygen tubing for little tiny teeth puncture holes. These holes slowly bleed the much needed oxygen from the tubing leaving me with less oxygen. I bet you are wondering why I haven’t banished this crafty kitty. *sigh* I just love her so much. Besides, I have duct tape. No, no, I don’t duct tape my cat! Heavens no! The duct tape comes in handy for quick fixes for when I need to wrap the tape around the nearly chewed in half area of my 50 foot oxygen tubing to make it sealed and to fix the leak. My house is never without my handy duct tape which comes in all sorts of lovely colors. But mine is white.

Now I bet you are wondering what more possible dangers could there be? Well… I’m not the most graceful person when it comes to coordination. Walking a straight line is not my thing when I’m tired. There have been a time or two when I’ve been walking in the house while doing chores (carrying the full laundry basket to the bedroom) and my feet get tangled up in the oxygen tubing. I end up barely catching myself when I trip. But, once or twice, I’ve face planted on our hardwood floor. There are times when people will accidentally step on my tubing as I’m walking away (that’s usually my husband, K). This really hurts my face and ears because I’m walking away and it jerks me back. Sometimes the canula gets ripped from my face and my nose pays the price. Sometimes I even step on it myself. Remember, I’m not a graceful person. This even happens with my portable oxygen tank too because I’ll start walking one way when K is going the other way and I forget that we are linked because he has the oxygen portable with him. I’m so use to using oxygen that it’s not a conscience thought any more. It’s just part of me now.

Sometimes, when I go to blow out a candle, I forget to take my oxygen off which is totally stupid of me. Never introduce a lit candle to your enriched oxygen breath. Usually nothing happens (luckily!) but sometimes it’s harder to blow the candle out. I use to go out dancing with my husband, K, and when I was in the club, I would ALWAYS be conscientious of where everyone’s lit cigarette was at in coordination with my liquid oxygen portable. Especially if the place was packed! (which is always was when we went)

So, you see? Not only am I a rebel… my husband always says that when I’m around, chaos just swirls around me! Isn’t that so cool?? I tell him, “Well, at least I make your life interesting!” Then, of course, I proceed to laugh when I see the look on his face. He’s so priceless. I’d never, ever trade him in for a newer model! Haha!

If you are new to my blog, don’t miss any posts I make. Sign up to FOLLOW my blog. Check the right column to find out how to receive emails for when I post on this Living On O2 for Life blog. I wish you all a wonderful weekend. I hope everyone got their flu shot (don’t forget the pneumonia shot too if you haven’t had it in 5 years.) Take care and be well.